What if I told you-you were the answer to someone’s prayer? Or, that you hold the key to their freedom? The truth is, you do hold the key to answered prayers. Our Way Maker made a way in the desert for the Israelites through Moses, and He uses us to make a way in the wilderness for others.
Then the Lord said, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on. Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the waters so the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.” Exodus 14:15-16
I just love the humor in this. Basically, quit wasting time and do something about it. You see, the previous verse, Exodus 14:14, is a well known and often quoted passage but it’s important to keep them together in context. In verse 14, Moses told the people, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Then the Lord said, “Why are you crying out to me?”… While He most definitely does fight for us, we play an active role.
The very thing Moses needed to make way for himself and others was at his fingertips. Just like Moses’ staff, He has placed talents and abilities at our very fingertips. “Keys” of talent, giftings, callings, and abilities to make a way, not just for yourself, but to split the sea so others can walk on dry ground.
As followers, you and I are created for a purpose. Appointed to carry out God’s mission. And, although His mission looks very different for every individual, it always involves people. In order to answer the call, there are 3 things we must do.
1.) Willingness To Be Used
In Exodus 35, everyone who was willing and whose heart moved them made and brought items to build the Tabernacle, the place where His glory dwelt. According to Ephesians 2:22, we are being built together into a dwelling of God, but we must have willing hearts, moved for building His kingdom.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my mission field?
- Work, home, friends, neighborhood … yes, even grocery shopping.
- Has the Lord placed an individual to minister to on my heart?
- If so, what is holding me back? Is it fear? Inconvenience?
- Am I using my gifting, abilities, and talents for God?
- How can I use them to build His kingdom?
- Is there a tugging in my heart for His mission?
- If not, there is no condemnation! Just ask Him to give you the desire. He wants it for you!
2.) Surrender to Him. Daily!
Apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5) but, with Him, we can do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us (Ephesians 3:20). To remain connected to the source of Power, we must make a daily habit of surrendering our will and ability, in order to pick up His.
- Am I spending time with Him on a consistent basis?
- If not, what’s holding me back? Time? Desire? Unsure where to start?
- Do I make a point to declare my surrender to Him?
- Do I firmly believe “not my will but yours, Lord”?
- Have I limited His power at work in me?
- In my life, what is the connection between “His power at work in me” and my ability to do great things for Him?
- What limits have I placed on His ability?
- Do I believe He can do immeasurably more than I ask or imagine?
3.) Draw From His Strength
In 1 Chronicles 22, David is commissioning his son, Solomon, to build the Lord’s house. As David declares the Lord’s purpose for Solomon, he encourages him to carefully observe the law and not to be afraid or discouraged. When we step into our purpose, opposition comes. As kingdom builders, we have to rely on His strength to carry us through these battles.
- Am I striving more than thriving?
- Am I trying to do things in my strength?
- Do my eyes “wonder” to the circumstances rather Him?
- Have I devoted my heart to seeking His limitless strength?
- Am I casting my cares on Him?
- How can I exchange my concern for His courage?
Your current mission field might be at home nurturing and raising up the next generation of Kingdom Warriors. Perhaps, you own a business in which you create an environment of peace and direction. Whatever stage of life you are in, you are a Kingdom carrier. You are commissioned by the King to equip, encourage, strengthen, and bless those around you. You are on a mission, working together with the King toward a central goal – His children. You are the answer to their prayer and freedom! Will you respond to the call?
Let us commit TODAY to raise our staff of ability and declare the sea to split. Father, make us into the people that don’t just say let your kingdom come but uses our talents to build Your kingdom.
How is God using your life to answer someone else’s prayer and build His kingdom?