Think about the last time you struggled with a battle. Perhaps it was this morning on the way to work, or trying to get your kids out the door.
If you’re anything like me, you can think of some ways you wish you’d responded differently. Maybe it was something you said or the tone in which you said it. Friends, our flesh can only give birth to flesh and spirit gives birth to spirit (John 3:6).
Because the battle we fight is not of this world but rather spiritual, we must use spiritual weapons to wage war. You wouldn’t use a bomb to kill an ant or a toothpick to fight a bear, but this is exactly what we do when we fight our spiritual battles with fleshly weapons.
Satan’s greatest weapon is our ignorance of God’s word. He is banking on you and I not knowing God’s word, realizing the power of God’s word, and/or not using His word.
We must learn to use spiritual weapons to wage this war. And I do mean learn – everything in our fleshly DNA fights against it.
Now, the enemy doesn’t mind you knowing the Word of God because he knows it; but to use it, now that’s a different story. The enemy knows Isaiah 55:11 that says God’s word goes out from His mouth, does not return void or empty and accomplishes everything He desires and achieves the purpose for which I sent it.
No, the enemy knows just how powerful God’s word is so he uses God’s word but twists it – a hint of truth with a dash of lies – so it’s believable. We must learn how to rely on the power, protection, and direction found in His eternal word.
1.) GOD’S WORD IS ETERNAL AND POWERFUL
These aren’t just words written on a page. They are the very words of God, alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword. It divides between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and judges the thoughts of the heart that only God can see (Hebrews 4;12)
He spoke the world into motion, the earth and everything in it belongs to the Creator, created by Him and for Him. Just read through Job 38 for great illustrations of His work.
By His spoken word, He makes something from nothing! Only He can take the nothingness of your situation and make it into something powerful and majestic to display His glory. God alone has power over all things, INCLUDING your battles and the enemy who is a created being.
- The words I have spoken to you — they are full of the Spirit and life” John 6:63
God’s word, spoken through you, has power over lifeless things. The things that seem so grim and beyond repair, God’s word can breathe fresh life into.
If you have free time read through Ezekiel 37. In this power filled story, we see God telling the prophet to speak to the valley of dry bones. “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!” Ezekiel 37:4
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
- The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. John 1:14
- Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Matthew 24:35
- The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever. Isaiah 40:8
GOD’S WORD IS OUR DEFENSE – IT SHIELDS AND STRENGTHENS
If you look at the list of armor in Ephesians 6, all of it is put on except the sword (God’s Word) and the shield of faith. The shield of faith, we’re told, can extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one (Ephesians 6:16).
How do we put on faith when we’re facing a giant in our lives? Romans 10:17 gives us the key. It declares “Faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God.” Hearing God’s word, builds our faith and becomes the shield to extinguish the enemy’s darts.
Then we have the sword, which is the Word of God. The only weapon that defends us AND that we use to fight back, but what good is it if we don’t actually pick it up and use it.
- As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. Psalm 18:30
And that’s exactly what His words flawlessly spoken through Jesus did in the desert. Every twisted lie the enemy flung at Jesus was met and cut off with the sword of God’s truth. Spiritual weapons have divine power to demolish the strongholds of your life!
- For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 2 Cor. 10:3-4
- You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:114
- I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word, I put my hope. Psalm 130:5
- Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Proverbs 30:5
3.) GOD’S WORD GUIDES AND DIRECTS
Almost two years ago, I lost my younger brother to a tragic incident, followed by the separation of a close family member and my husband’s cancer diagnosis. During this dark time of my life, Psalm 119:105 was my lifeline verse – Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path.
At a time when I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face, much less where I was headed, His word lit the path for each next step. Through His word, He gave me hope for the next day and strength when all my legs wanted to do was buckle from the weight. So hold onto God’s eternal word.
- The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. Psalm 119:130
- All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:4
- We don’t live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23
- Search for scripture relating to your struggle (marriage, children, hope, depression, financial, etc.).
- The enemy is a created being, not omniscient, so he can’t read your mind. Use Christ’s example in the desert and declare those scriptures out loud to pierce his lies.
- Like Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says, bind them on your hands, post them on your doorpost. Write them out on cards, keep them in your car, save them to your phone, put them on your bathroom mirror. Do whatever you need to do to saturate your mind with God’s truths.
How has God’s word impacted you? Need prayer? Leave me a comment, and I will happily join with you in declaring God’s word over your struggle.
Esther | Chosen & Cherished
Be sure to join me on Facebook and Pinterest!